Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Riding the Wave of Functional Strength

For more useful training tips, subscribe to my monthly newsletter!

As you may know, Greg and I had a tough year in the process of trying to build a family. –But most things also being opportunities...we took one for a bit of surfing in Costa Rica!


Despite some rain and initially rough conditions, we had an excellent time being there together, and sharing meals with the other guests at the surf hangout.

Each time you take a real vacation, don't you wonder why you don't do it more often? Surfing can be the perfect mental “break” for me (pun intended)! Triathlon is a very structured sport: Do x for y minutes at z intensity. With surfing, it's better if you just let it all go.

Rough conditions meant a LOT of paddling...and some fun waves in the end. The first time I paddled out smoothly through multiple breaks, rip current, and significant churn, fellow surfers Rob and Koto asked how often I normally swim - every day?

Actually, I've averaged only one swim per week over the last several months. But, I also do functional strength training twice a week. While training for triathlons, I make it tri-specific; I switched to a surfing emphasis 2-3 weeks out from our trip.

The result? The ability to surf or swim 1-2 times every day, with no soreness or injury. By the end I had some tired arms...but I'd been able to go for any wave, including many of the bigger waves.

...Now to get my board-riding skills up to par with the paddling ability. I guess we'll just have to go back!

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I wonder how the she is enjoying the Red Tacos in prison.

      Delete
  3. Who's your friend? Is that your ex-husband you tried, and failed, to have killed?
    Nice two-piece. Will they be allowed in the women's prison?

    ReplyDelete
  4. She passed out hearing her verdict. I am not sure why she is surprised. The evidence against her was overwhelmingly compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete