Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Joy of a Bike Ride

I was out with a flu bug for a couple days, and then started the tentative, gradual process of easing back into triathlon training. By today I was back in the saddle for real, a mellow, two-hour cruise up the Carlsbad/Oceanside coastline. Oh, how great it feels to be outside and having some strength back!

Every time I glanced westward, I was struck by how incredibly lucky I am to live in this place, where the sun is bright and I'm wearing shorts and short sleeves, even on a windy day in mid-April.

I think the comical highlight of the ride was when I stopped briefly at a viewpoint in Oceanside. A 6-year-old (or so) boy and his mom came scrambling up the beach path to the road. The kid weilded a metal detector grandly, like it was the solution to all the world's problems. As he approached me, he pointed the detector right at my bike, at which point it started beeping excitedly. I said, "What do you have there? Did you find me alright?" He just grinned a little and brought the thing closer to my front wheel. "Do you want my bike now?" And the mother scooted her son along, smiling and muttering, "Honey, we don't need to do that...let's go, come on..." I felt pretty important! "

No comments:

Post a Comment